Friday, August 14, 2009

Anna Daatha Sukhi Bhava

Okay, with all the festivals around and with the associated spirit behind them , it's time to type here some of my principles.

One of my former colleagues who was in senior management lost his job 5 months ago as his entire division was wiped off. He had an almost perfect resume and the necessary skills but the next job was evading him. He would call me almost every second day and tell me how his finances were and how he has to repay mortgages etc. However not once did he bad mouth his company or his boss at all during the whole period.

Yesterday he called to tell me that he has indeed got a very good job, after 5 months of despondency, in a multi national company. I really felt very happy for him especially knowing how much he had struggled with factors that were not under his control and how his family (wife, kids, old parents) had put up with the turmoil.

So, I asked him yesterday about his one trait 'why didn't you bad mouth your boss/company'?. I was his former manager too at one point in time.

He emphasized to me what are my core values as well.
- No boss is so political that he/she targets only you.
- Politics is nothing but a collection of individual agendas
- When you put yourself in your manager's shoes then you will know or internalize his/her own agenda. And you will get a bigger perspective.
- Sometimes factors are so uncontrollable that nobody can do anything to it.
- Boss/manager is not a super hero!

In ancient scriptures there is a popular saying 'Anna Daatha Sukhi Bhava'. Let the person who gives me my bread live well (loose translation). Why don't we extend this . Make Boss = Anna Daatha?